Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Avalon Organics Vitamin C Renewal Balancing Toner

Image found here.

A few months ago I had this weird urge to start trying out anti-aging products even though I don’t need them yet. I should probably take that as a sign that I’m reading too many beauty blogs. Anyway, I ended up giving most of the stuff away to my mom, but I kept this toner because I liked it a lot. I’m in my early 20s, so the most I really need to do is wear sunscreen regularly, but I this toner also helps with balancing the skin, and getting an even tone.

Some of you may be asking, “Do I need a toner? What do they actually do?” The answer is, for the most part, no. Toners were originally created to balance the pH of the skin after using a harsh soap on the face, back when actual soaps were used. Now that we have gentle, non-soap cleansers, there isn’t a huge need for them. But, a well-formulated toner can be a nice addition to your skin care routine, especially if it contains vitamins and antioxidants.

The Avalon Organics Vitamin C Renewal Balancing Toner works like this, according to the bottle,

To rebalance skin tone and moisture levels, our pore perfecting combination of Aloe, Cucumber and Papaya Extracts purifies and hydrates while targeting areas of hyperpigmentation. Plant-derived Vitamin C, a powerful antioxidant and cell energizer, helps eliminate free radical damage caused by sun exposure to help fight the visible signs of photo-aging.
Sounds pretty good to me! Like many other women of color, I’m prone to hyperpigmentation. I’ve been using this toner once a day for about a month, and I have noticed my skin looks brighter and more even. (I have also been using a BHA exfoliant, so I probably have gotten faster results than normal.) The toner is also lightly hydrating and softening. It does contain citrus essential oils and salicylic acid, so I would suggest passing on this product if you have very sensitive skin. Otherwise, it should work well for most skin types.

I have to mention that I really didn’t like the toner at first because it left my face feeling sticky. I was applying it with a cotton round and it left too much product on my face. I gave it a second chance, used less, applied it to my face with fingers, and found that it actually dries leaving my face smooth and not-sticky. So be careful of how much you use--although that might be difficult because this stuff smells amazing! Like really delicious oranges.

Unsurprisingly, a big reason I’m a fan of this toner (other than that it works) is the ingredient list:



  • Contains 70% organic ingredients
  • Made without synthetic fragrances or colors, parabens, pthalates, harsh preservatives, or sulfates
  • 100% Vegetarian and cruelty-free
  • The bottle is made out of 100% recycled materials.

But even better than all that, Avalon Organics, as a company, has signed on to the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics. They also have their own Consciousness in Cosmetics® philosophy. You can read more about the 5 elements to Consciousness in Cosmetics® here, and you can learn about the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics at SafeCosmetics.org.

I’m pretty happy with the way this toner works, and I feel good about buying it. If you are looking for some anti-aging skin care, or are looking to even out your skin tone, give the Avalon Organics Vitamin C Renewal Balancing Toner a shot. I haven’t tried the rest of the Vitamin C Renewal products, but I’m willing to bet they’re also pretty great.

2 comments:

  1. Vitamins
    I found your website the other day and after reading a handful of posts, thought I would say thank you for all the great content. Keep it coming! I will try to stop by here more often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is an excellent post I seen thanks to share it. It is really what I wanted to see hope in future you will continue for sharing such a excellent post.


    Cold & Flu Care

    ReplyDelete